Monday, September 27, 2010

My Neighborhood

I've taken a bunch of pictures of my apartment and the area around it now.  I have FINALLY unpacked everything so I feel much more settled now.  I've been exploring the area I'm living in and am really liking everything I'm finding.  Not only is there tons of shopping, cafes, and restaurants there are also little markets and smaller, local places sitting on side streets.  On top of this entertainment there also appear to be about 100 hospitals in Hadan.  The strange thing about hospitals here is that as long as the person is able to walk, even when technically "checked in" to the hospital they can still meander around.  For instance, the other day I stopped at 7/11 (yes they have 7/11 here... but no slurpees sadly) and there was a guy sitting outside in a hospital gown and an IV drip coming out of his arm just having a cup of coffee.  I've had this happen constantly the past few days... just walking around and passing people from the hospital in their gowns... luckily they all seem to close in the back.  My other favorite things I've found here is the "yogurt lady."  Every morning I see about a dozen different women walking along the street in a uniform pushing a cart and selling only yogurt.  I tried asking a friend about this and apparently Koreans think yogurt is just such a healthy, necessary food that they have a specific person that sells only this very treasured good.  So each morning the "yogurt ladies" are making deliveries (sort of like milkmen) and also selling to individuals on the street.

Yesterday I also found a massive farmers market a few streets down from me.  It reminded me of the public markets I loved so much from South America (minus the variety of fruits) however they still had all sorts of fresh fruits and vegetables and also many prepared foods (different than South America).  Of course, this being Busan, there were many stands of fish in various forms (dried, live, on ice, cooked...)  I will definitely be stopping by there more often.  It looks like a beautiful day today and has started to cool off some so it is starting to feel like fall here (even without the leaves changing).  So I'm gonna try to get in some shopping before classes today (peanut butter and snickers bars are still the only things in my fridge-- not the most balanced diet...)


Bathroom... notice the creativity that is my shower (yes, it's hooked up to the sink)

Kitchen with washing machine under the burner


Entryway

My "bedroom"

Various prepared foods covered in chili sauce

Yogurt Lady resting

No comments:

Post a Comment